How to create, edit, and manage your Gmail signature
March 24, 2023
Every day around the world, people send and receive over 300 billion emails. Making your emails stand out from all the rest is no easy feat, but there are a few small touches you can add to make them more professional and impactful. One of those details is the signature at the bottom of your email.
If you want to elevate your emails, use this guide to learn how to add and customize your Gmail signature.
<a href="#what-is-an-email-signature" class="anchor-link">What is an email signature and what are the benefits of using one?</a> <a href="#what-should-you-include-in-your-gmail-signature" class="anchor-link">What should you include in your Gmail signature?</a> <a href="#how-to-add-a-signature-to-your-emails-in-gmail" class="anchor-link">How to add a signature to your emails in Gmail</a>
<a href="#different-formatting-and-styling-options" class="anchor-link">Different formatting and styling options</a>
<a href="#do-email-signatures-work-in-the-gmail-mobile-app" class="anchor-link">Do email signatures work in the Gmail mobile app?</a> <a href="#using-different-email-signatures-for-different-types-of-emails" class="anchor-link">Using different email signatures for different types of emails</a> <a href="#gmail-signatures-for-professional-emails" class="anchor-link">Gmail signatures for professional emails</a>
When you create your email signature, there are some key details you should include such as:
The most important thing to include in your signature is your full name. It should be at the top of the signature. If you’re creating email signatures for multiple people, make sure they each have their own unique signature with their name. For emails sent on behalf of your company, create a separate email signature without any name.
You should also include your job information such as your title and department. These details help your contact understand who’s emailing them and offer some context.
Next, add your preferred contact information. Even though your email is available in the sender details, include your email address again as well as your phone number and fax number if applicable. You may want to add your office address here also.
Links and images
Some email signatures only have a name, job title, and contact information. If you want to take your signature even further, though, you can add important links and even a call to action (CTA).
Consider linking to your company website and social media accounts. Round out your Gmail signature with a photo or logo to capture the audience’s attention. <div class="anchor-wrapper"><div id="how-to-add-a-signature-to-your-emails-in-gmail" class="anchor-target"></div></div>
How to add a signature to your emails in Gmail
To add a Gmail signature to your emails, start by opening Gmail on your desktop. From there, follow these steps:
1. Select the gear icon in the upper right corner to open Gmail settings.
2. Select “See all settings” in the menu that appears.
3. Under the general tab, scroll down until you see the “Signature” section. Click “Create new.”
4. Write a name for your new signature in the pop-up box that appears. Click “Create.”
5. A text box will appear where you can type your new email signature. Add all the details you want to include in your signature such as your name, job details, and contact information. You can also insert images and hyperlinks using the options bar directly below the text box.
6. Once you have your desired email signature, scroll down to the “Signature default” section. Using the two drop-down menus, choose whether you want your signature to appear when you send new emails, replies/forwards, or both.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the settings page and click the “Save Changes” button to save your signature.
Once you complete these steps, you’ll have a new Gmail signature that is automatically added to the end of your emails. If you ever want to change your signature, go back into Gmail settings, scroll down to “Signature,” and edit your signature as necessary — the same way you created it.
Play around with the different formatting and styling options for your signature in Gmail until you find a combination you like. You can change the text size, font, color, and alignment right within the signature settings. If it’s more convenient, you can also create your email signature in a different application and paste it into the text box. Using a different tool like Photoshop to create your signature can open up even more formatting and style options.
The email signature you create on your desktop won’t apply to email signatures sent through the Gmail mobile app. That said, Gmail allows users to create a separate mobile signature. When you send emails from the Gmail mobile app, your mobile signature will appear instead.
Create your mobile signature by following these steps:
1. Open the Gmail mobile app and select the hamburger menu in the upper left-hand corner.
2. Scroll down and select “Settings.”
3. Under “Compose and Reply,” select “Signature settings.”
4. Switch the “Mobile Signature” button to the right to enable mobile signatures and type your signature. You can copy and paste your desktop signature if you want them to be the same.
5. Click “Done,” and you will have a new mobile Gmail signature.
Using different email signatures for different types of emails
You may not want the same email signature to appear on all the emails you send. If that’s the case, you can create multiple email signatures and switch between them to use the one that works best for each email.
To do so, follow all the same steps for creating your first email signature. Give the second signature a different name, change any details you want to change, and save these changes in Gmail settings.
Once you have multiple email signatures, when you go to compose an email, a new button will appear in the bottom menu. Select the button that looks like a pen.
A new menu will appear showing the signatures you created. You can choose which signature you would like to include in the email you’re writing by selecting it. Alternatively, leave off all signatures by selecting “No signature.”
Create as many email signatures as you need. This feature gives you some flexibility while still offering the convenience of being able to use the same signatures repeatedly.
An email signature in Gmail helps ensure all the emails you send look professional and consistent. Include basic information like your full name and contact details and don’t be afraid to personalize it with images or fun styling.
Using these steps, you can create a fitting Gmail signature that makes your emails stand out.